I have been making an attempt to go away San Francisco since 2014. After pretend retiring in 2012, I assumed it was solely logical to maneuver to a lower-cost space of the nation, like Honolulu, to save cash and be nearer to my people.
Sure, Honolulu is not low cost, nevertheless it’s cheaper than San Francisco! Nevertheless, each time I attempt to depart, San Francisco pulls me again in.
Listed below are some explanation why:
- 2014: Discovered an ocean-view house in San Francisco for affordable, so I purchased it as an alternative of shopping for a way more costly ocean-view house in Honolulu.
- 2017: Had our first youngster, so we determined to remain for continuity. As first-time dad and mom, we had sufficient stress.
- 2019: Had our second youngster. There’s a variety of consolation in figuring out your medical doctors when you could have a new child.
- 2020: The pandemic compelled us to shelter in place for a number of months. Relocating to a brand new metropolis with an toddler and three-and-a-half year-old throughout a pandemic creates extra uncertainty.
- 2021: Son acquired right into a Mandarin immersion college. He is loved his expertise up to now, so it is exhausting to drag him out and place him in a brand new college.
- 4Q 2023: A possibility to buy a dream house at a extra inexpensive value, so we did.
- Fall 2024: The potential of going again to work full-time as soon as each children are in class full-time. The job alternatives are extra plentiful in San Francisco than in Honolulu.
Having A Household Makes Leaving Any Metropolis Extra Tough
If we did not have children, I am certain my spouse and I’d have relocated to Honolulu years in the past. We longed to stay an easier life close to the ocean in year-round heat climate. We had sufficient cash to stay comfortably, however not extravagantly.
I imagined fixing up my grandparents’ outdated farmhouse in Waianae and consuming off the land. After breakfast, we would go to the seashore to boogie board or surf. Then we would come house, eat some poké, and take a nap. Then we would go for a late afternoon hike.
Though we would lose all standing and status, we would be mentally and bodily more healthy and happier! Not a foul commerce over simply earning profits. Alas, we had children, that are a blessing.
After getting a household, inertia makes it very exhausting to relocate. Your own home, college, associates, community, and healthcare suppliers all maintain you stationary.
Why I Love San Francisco
In addition to America, I’ve lived between 6 months and 4 years in six different nations. I’ve additionally visited over 150 cities worldwide. San Francisco is on my listing of the highest 5 finest cities on the planet.
Listed below are the explanation why:
- The climate is delicate year-round, which is nice for exercising open air.
- Town and the encircling area are lovely, particularly in case you can stay in a house with views.
- Napa/Sonoma Valley are solely an hour and quarter-hour away.
- Lake Tahoe has world-class snowboarding/snowboarding 3.5 hours away.
- Nearer to Hawaii and Asia than cities on the East Coast.
- Improbable universities equivalent to Berkeley, Stanford, UCSF, Santa Clara, and many others
- All the time a high three culinary metropolis in America
- Bountiful job and consulting alternatives that pay properly
- One of the crucial numerous cities on the planet
- One of many least expensive worldwide cities on the planet
- Tons of leisure, like tennis tournaments, entertainers, and artwork exhibits come right here
Why I Dislike San Francisco
In fact, no metropolis is ideal. Listed below are some explanation why I dislike San Francisco:
- Some corrupt metropolis officers
- Authorities waste
- Crime and homelessness
- Excessive price of residing
- Intense hustle tradition in some industries
- Paperwork in relation to getting issues accomplished
However the actuality is, each single metropolis has these bullet factors to numerous levels. The one factor I really like about Honolulu over San Francisco is the dearth of hustle tradition. As soon as you’ve got left an intense profession, you will not wish to be continuously surrounded by go-getters.
Pleasure Is What Retains Me In San Francisco
I’ve gone by means of the professionals and cons of San Francisco many occasions earlier than. However what I spotted most lately is that pleasure is among the principal explanation why I stay in San Francisco.
As somebody who simply will get bored, I must be in a vibrant metropolis the place there’s one thing thrilling all the time occurring. Let me share a few examples.
1) APEC Comes To San Francisco
San Francisco lately hosted APEC, the Asia Pacific Financial Council. President Biden, China’s President Xi, and a bunch of different world leaders got here to hob knob.
As an Asian one that lived in The Philippines, Japan, Taiwan, and Malaysia till highschool, it was thrilling to see 21 APEC leaders come to city and construct relationships. Listed below are some pictures of who got here to San Francisco for APEC.
Not solely have been world political leaders on the town however so have been high musicians like Sting and Yoshiki serenading Marc Benioff (Founding father of Salesforce) and different luminaries at his occasion. Elon Musk got here to city as properly.
The world’s media was centered on San Francisco for 2 weeks. The highlight brings in additional curiosity, extra investments, extra jobs, and extra demand to go to and stay within the metropolis.
It is exhausting to go away San Francisco when you understand many individuals wish to stay right here.
2) OpenAI CEO Firing Debacle
After APEC ended, OpenAI’s board voted its CEO, Sam Altman out for an unspecified cause. After Atman’s firing, there was an enormous outcry of assist from the VC and tech group. Greg Brockton, the President give up, together with a number of senior researchers. Because of this, the board is beneath immense strain to resign and reinstate Altman as CEO.
In case you’ve watched Succession on HBO, your entire OpenAI debacle feels just like the present on hyperspeed. Thrilling and interesting to look at!
As soon as once more, your entire tech world is concentrated on what the heck is occurring in San Francisco with the most important synthetic intelligence firm on the planet.
For a fast overview of what is going on on at OpenAI, the maker of ChatGPT:
- Altman clashed with the board on the route of the corporate (e.g. earnings vs. non-profit, AI security, velocity of improvement of know-how, Altman wanting to start out one other firm, and many others)
- Energy wrestle between Altman and Ilya Sutskever, OpenAI co-founder and chief scientist
- In a coup by Sutskever, on a Google Meet, “Ilya informed Sam he was being fired and that the information was going out very quickly.” Shortly after, Brockman was informed he was being faraway from his place as chairman of the board however would maintain on to his position as president.
- Microsoft’s CEO Satya Nadella came upon concerning the board’s determination identical to the remainder of us on Twitter, regardless of having invested over $10 billion in OpenAI. Curiously, regardless of the funding quantity, Microsoft does not have a board seat.
- OpenAI workers have been on the cusp of having the ability to promote their shares at a staggering $86 billion valuation. However now that valuation quantity is wanting suspect. OpenAI’s board could have torched tens of billions in shareholder worth.
- Now OpenAI’s board is beneath strain to reinstate Altman, who’s contemplating coming again if the board is eliminated. However he’s not! Emmett Shear from Twitch is now CEO.
- Altman is becoming a member of Microsoft to guide a brand new AI mission. Working for large tech looks as if a disappointment for Altman, however a win for Microsoft to regulate extra items and get an in-house AI know-how.
In case you’ve lived in San Francisco since 2001, as I’ve, you inevitably will know folks concerned on this drama. How might you allow? The awkwardness goes to be wonderful through the subsequent board assembly!
Be In The Proper Place At The Proper Time To Get Wealthy
Half the battle of getting wealthy and/or getting forward is being in the appropriate place on the proper time. When you may simply meet decision-makers in particular person, it is a lot simpler to construct relationships. And when you could have good relationships, life will get simpler.
I am speaking about getting a job or a consulting gig, getting your children into college, elevating cash on your firm or fund, beginning a enterprise, and extra. In case you’re a useful and comparatively good particular person, you’ll get farther forward than those that aren’t.
Exhausting To Get Again In As soon as You Go away San Francisco
In case you depart San Francisco, like many did through the pandemic, there is a worry you may by no means have the ability to get again in.
The job you vacated can have been taken by a hungry colleague. Your community will overlook about you as soon as you allow. And the prime property you owned might be scooped up by one other household and never be obtainable for the following 30 years!
I’ve lived in San Francisco since 2001 as a result of I felt the tech/web growth was right here to remain. Sure, the dotcom bubble had burst in March 2000, however the groundwork was laid for Internet 2.0.
Given I could not get a job in tech, I purchased public tech firm shares. Then I purchased as a lot San Francisco actual property as I might afford. Picks and shovels for many who’ve been shut out!
It appears apparent that synthetic intelligence will revolutionize the world once more. Nevertheless, this time, the stakes could also be even increased as a result of AI might get rid of my kids’s jobs in addition to yours.
Concern Retains Me In San Francisco
With Internet 1.0 and a couple of.0 firms, there was a higher chance of getting wealthy by becoming a member of these firms or investing in them after they went public.
However with synthetic intelligence, there looks as if much less alternative given fewer persons are wanted to scale. These personal AI firms are staying personal for longer, shutting out public traders. As well as, synthetic intelligence is a direct assault on eliminating jobs in lots of industries!
By staying in San Francisco, I really feel like I am performing as a loyal soldier of the Night time’s Watch within the Sport of Thrones. The White Walkers are coming to destroy us, it is solely a matter of time when. However after they do, I wish to be right here to defend my household!
AI is just like the Night time King
I am all the time pondering 10+ years forward as a result of it’s important to if you wish to successfully plan on your future. With a 3 and six-year-old, I am involved for his or her futures.
From Non-Revenue To Mega Earnings In AI
OpenAI went from being a non-profit whose mission was to assist humanity to being a for-profit firm value $86 billion and largely owned by Microsoft.
It doesn’t matter what the OpenAI leaders say, the rationale why the corporate grew to become a for-profit firm was to make tons of cash for its leaders, homeowners, and workers.
That is Capitalism 101!
Give it some thought. Irrespective of how wealthy you already are, you may’t assist however need more cash, extra energy, and extra fame.
Take heed to all the company converse you need from AI leaders selling a “innocent know-how” for the higher good of humanity. There might be optimistic advantages from AI for certain. Nevertheless, there may even be negatives as properly, together with huge disinformation, fraud, and thousands and thousands of job losses.
ChatGPT and Claude.ai already scrapes the web for information and makes it their very own with out given any attribution to creators like me. But, AI people say this is not stealing. No surprise why Medium is obstructing all AI crawlers from its content material.
Investing In AI For My Household
So what’s a dad of two children and a non-working partner going to do? Settle for actuality and adapt!
There is not any approach I can beat AI. Because of this, I have to both work in AI or spend money on AI firms decided to wipe my form off the map.
Getting a profitable AI job goes to be troublesome. Everybody desires one. However investing in personal AI firms is accessible to me, and now it’s accessible to all of you thru funds just like the Fundrise Innovation Fund. `
I’ve already dedicated $1,000,000 in numerous personal enterprise capital and enterprise debt funds which make investments components of their portfolios in AI firms.
I plan to take a position one other $500,000 in enterprise capital funds that spend money on AI firms over the following three to 5 years.
If AI revolutionizes the world, then my investments will possible repay. If AI seems to be overhyped, then my kids will possible nonetheless land good jobs.
A Dad or mum’s Concern Is The Best Motivator
Considered one of a father or mother’s fears is spending 18 years educating their kids, then spending a small fortune sending them to school, then ending up with despondent grownup kids who cannot get jobs of their fields of research.
This worry is among the explanation why I am reluctant to encourage anyone to pay full retail for school. Going to a public school or group school is the way in which to go! Cheaper price equals much less chance for disappointment.
With AI, sadly, I feel extra highschool and school graduates will discover themselves underemployed and disillusioned sooner or later.
By pondering 20+ years forward for my 3 and 6-year-olds, I can higher hedge towards potential profession disappointments. If they can not get related jobs that present function, I am going to pull them apart someday and share a model of this word.
A Dialog To My Grownup Youngsters
I want life wasn’t so merciless. You studied your hardest in class and did your finest over the previous 5 years to discover a job in your discipline. I am so happy with you since you tried!
Despite the fact that issues won’t have turned out as you deliberate, your mother and I are right here for you. Do not quit! Good issues are but to come back.
We’ve a shock for you. In 2023, your outdated man acknowledged the longer term and invested accordingly. Listed below are the proceeds from numerous AI investments we made.
You are a grown grownup now. Be happy to make use of the funds to pursue what you actually wish to do. Do not forget to come back go to someday OK?
We love you,
Mother and Dad
So there you could have it people. There’s an excessive amount of pleasure, worry, and AI occurring to go away San Francisco. Possibly in our 50s will we lastly transfer to Honolulu. However not now. We have to defend our youngsters’s futures.
Anyone stay in San Francisco and discover it troublesome to go away? Are you apprehensive about synthetic intelligence taking away jobs on your kids as properly? In addition to working in AI and investing in AI, what else can we do to guard our monetary futures?
In addition to politics and never having the ability to afford to stay on San Francisco, why else do some individuals who do not stay in San Francisco hate San Francisco a lot?
How To Make investments In Synthetic Intelligence
Try the Innovation Fund, which invests within the following 5 sectors:
- Synthetic Intelligence & Machine Studying
- Trendy Knowledge Infrastructure
- Improvement Operations (DevOps)
- Monetary Expertise (FinTech)
- Actual Property & Property Expertise (PropTech)
Roughly 35% of the Innovation Fund is invested in synthetic intelligence. In 20 years, I do not need my children questioning why I did not spend money on AI or work in AI!
You may see what the Innovation Fund is holding earlier than deciding to take a position and the way a lot. The minimal is $10. Conventional enterprise capital funds require capital dedication first after which hope the overall companions will discover nice investments.
Subscribe To Monetary Samurai
Pay attention and subscribe to The Monetary Samurai podcast on Apple or Spotify. I interview specialists of their respective fields and focus on among the most attention-grabbing matters on this web site. Please share, fee, and overview!
For extra nuanced private finance content material, be a part of 60,000+ others and join the free Monetary Samurai publication and posts by way of e-mail. Monetary Samurai is among the largest independently-owned private finance websites that began in 2009.